What material to use for your business signs
So you’ve decided you need some signage for your business – fantastic! But which signage material is best for which situation? Follow our handy to guide to learn which material is best for your business.
Metal/ Metal Laminate
Metal or metal laminate signs are designed for long-lasting, durable, indoor signs. They convey touch of luxury to your business. If you want the metal effect, but not the cost, consider a metal laminate. Here, a thin piece of metal laminate is bonded to an under-core of PVC or acrylic. You can also opt for Dibond signage, where two thin pieces of aluminium flank a tough piece of plastic.
- Visually appealing
- Sense of luxury
- Best used indoors (except Dibond, which is versatile)
- Difficult to keep clean
Foam / Foamboard
Foamboard signs (often referred to by the brand name Foamex) are lightweight yet durable. Foam is condensed under high pressure, consisting of three layers (2 layers of polyurethane foam flanking paper) to create a sturdy sign. Foamboard signs are weatherproof, and printed with UV resistant inks to ensure there’s no fade.
- Can be used indoors and outdoors
- Available in various thicknesses (3, 5, 10mm)
- Easy to cut to shape
- Thin (3mm) Foamboard can ‘warp’ out of shape under long term weather conditions.
Acrylic signs are fantastic for individually cut letters in bright colours. Acrylic can also be amended, with a frosted or mirror finish, so can provide an alternative to metal signage.
- Bright colours
- Looks modern and clean
- Fades in the sun so not suitable for outdoor use
- Can warp over time
- Can scratch easily.
- Indoor and outdoor use
- Strong- can withstand pressure without warping
- Not ideal for windy weather displays as will ‘flap’ (check out our mesh banners as a windy-area alternative).
Wooden signage can be beautiful and a real eye-catcher in your front lobby. Wood signage looks attractive and rustic, as well as signalling an environmental interest. However, wood is very susceptible to weather and animal influence, so it should not be used outside.
- Attractive and traditional
- High maintenance
- Susceptible to elements and infestation
Digitally Printed vinyl graphics
Vinyl graphics are similar to a large scale sticker. Print your logo and message in full colour, and simply adhere to the wall or desired surface. Vinyl graphics can also be displayed on the floor, windows or even on concrete (as long as they are created with ProGrip or MultiGrip).
- Very lightweight
- Indoor or outdoor display
- Digital ink will fade over time especially outdoors
If you’d like to discuss your signage needs with an expert, our friendly team are on hand to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us.